Wednesday, June 4, 2008

"NICU itis"


Yep...That is the name of the disease that I have. Granted I know I was going to be an over protective mom just by my personality. But starting mothering off as a NICU mom didn't help that. Of course I didn't know any different. And there were some benefits. For one, I was able to recover the two weeks Reese was in the hospital. I don't know how you moms push those babies out and take them home the next day! That would be overwhelming! Being a NICU mom teaches you to have attention to every detail, or in my case obsess over numbers. For the first two weeks of her life, I knew her heart rate, respiration's, O2 level, exactly how much she had eaten and how much was left over in her stomach. There was something freeing about being able to be the one to take her leads off that last day. Yet at the same time my thought was "Now, how am I going to be able to tell if she is okay?" So I began my own charting....how long she nursed, what each diaper was like, how long she slept, and in the being I took her temperature with each diaper change....That's what we did in the NICU and so I continued that pattern at home. Well, I don't take her temp as often anymore, but I am still charting. My friend Nora made an entry for me the other day "Reese's 16th birthday....two carrots, one hamburger and on slice of cake!" Yes, I know I need to stop charting soon...maybe when we stop nursing....:)

No comments: