Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sadly it is over.....

We have been a part of a home group this year that came to an end last Sunday night. We were taking the class "Growing Kids God's Way" at our church with a group of other parents. The kids came to group with us and some of the wonderful youth group kids fed them dinner and entertained them while we learned how to parent. This study was unlike any that I have ever done. It was so practical! Each week we talked about a biblical principal that was a simple, yet profound truth and then we were given a way to put that truth to practice in our parenting. For example, God calls us to a standard of excellence, and that is something we want our kids to strive for, to always do there best. So how do we get the kids to do this? By teaching them the concepts of good, better, best. Saying hello to someone who says hello to you is good, but asking how they are is better and looking them in the eye and shaking their hand is best. Anyways, just one example of the good stuff we were learning.

One of the best parts....it put Matt and I on the same page! We now have the same principles all lined out for us that we are in agreement with and we have the knowledge of the same vehicles in how to implement those principles. Hooray for consistency! Hooray for confident parenting! Hooray for dad coming home from the work day and totally understanding how our day has gone at home!

I really have been changed by this class. I was a great teacher and made to be a mommy and I love Jesus, but I did not know how to put those all together to parent with confidence. This class has done that for me. PLUS, it has given my family community! A group of like minded people all raising kids with the same goal in mind.

This class just ended and I wish it was starting again! Seriously! I know there is so much more I could get out of it, and Matt feels the same way.

Look for a class in your area, you won't regret it!! Start a class in your area, you will be so glad you did!! :)

No comments: