Thursday, March 31, 2011

To each their own....



Kinda funny to see a 3.5 year old with a binkie and a 4 month old without one, but that is the way it goes at our house!

Reese had a binkie within the first couple of hours after birth. You see when they are tube feeding a baby they want them to suck so that they associate sucking with their tummy getting full. Well, Reese was hooked from day one. She had her binkie in her mouth 24/7 and still would I think if we let her.

Maleah is different. I had to encourage her to use the binkie. And now she puts herself to sleep and naps without it. She likes her fingers. She doesn't use them all that much but she does use them much more when she is tired. Often I watch her falling asleep making that sucking motion with her mouth but not even using her fingers.

So Maleah quit the binkie before Reese. And that is okay with me. (Not with Matt however.) I am going to play the preemie card here cause we just don't totally know. Being born at 34 weeks, Reese lacked some important development....maybe part of that was sucking, I don't know.

I do know she won't use a binkie for ever. She talks about giving it up to earn a doll named "Annabell" but she has yet to do that. She will, when she is ready or when we see that the binkie is harming her. But for now, we just encourage both girls to love each other as they are. Turns out they are pretty good at that!

2 comments:

heidik said...

We are coming up on 3 1/2 over here too and still have the pacifier at night. Finn just can't seem to calm himself without it. It's only for nap & night time and I'm honestly in no hurry for him to give it up. I'd much rather he do it on his own than without me pushing him. Some kids need it and some don't. Finn is one that does and that is totally okay with me. You are not alone! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Heidi! I agree, some kids need it! :)